The lodge is located on private, active logging roads within the Katahdin Ironworks (KI) Jo-Mary Multiple Use Forest. Access is via the Hedge Hog or Katahdin Iron Works gated checkpoints during the strictly enforced hours of 6 AM-9 PM from May - October. AMC Lodging guests must stop and show proof of a current reservation confirmation letter for access fees to be waived. Motorcycles are prohibited and types and lengths of vehicles are restricted. Please limit your speed to 25 mph and yield to logging trucks and other heavy equipment, pull well off the road where possible. Do not park within 150 feet of bridges.
The access roads to AMC’s Maine Wilderness Lodges are dirt logging roads subject to the impacts of wet weather conditions, including washouts and potholes, particularly during early spring and late fall. Please note that until road grading occurs in these regions, conditions are rough and may not be passable in cars with low ground clearance. For up-to-date information on road conditions during spring, fall, or when storms are expected, please contact AMC Contact Service Center (207-358-5187) or the AMC Greenville Office (207-695-3085) in advance of your trip.
SUMMER DIRECTIONS TO LITTLE LYFORD LODGE AND CABINS
AMC’s Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins are located approximately 16 miles east of Greenville and 19 miles west of Route 11 outside of Brownville. There is no fuel available once you leave the state highways. Please allow 6 hours driving time if driving from the Boston area, 9 hours from the greater NYC area.
From the west via Greenville:
- Take I-95 north to Exit 157 (old 39) at Newport, Route 7 north to Dexter, Route 23 north to Guilford, then Route 15 North to Greenville.
- At the traffic light in the center of Greenville, proceed north one block and turn right onto Pleasant St.
- After 2 miles the road becomes gravel and the name changes to the KI Road (Katahdin Iron Works).
- Eleven miles from Greenville, stop and register at the Hedgehog Gate checkpoint.
- Proceed 1.8 miles further and turn left at the T intersection onto Katahdin Iron Works road.
- Go 1.1 miles, bear left, continue for 1 mile to the Little Lyford Lodge driveway on your right.
From the east via Brownville:
- Approach the KI (Katahdin Ironworks) Road on Route 11 either southbound from Millinocket (26 miles) or Northbound from Milo (12 Miles).
- To get to Milo from the south, take I-95 north to Exit 199 (old 53) at Old Town.
- Continue north on Route 16 to Milo, then take Route 11 north towards Brownville. NOTE: Signage for the Katahdin Ironworks Historic Site (KIW) may be missing, so check your mileage.
- Turn west onto the KI Road. The KI checkpoint is 6.3 miles from Route 11. Stop and register.
- From the gate go 10.6 miles and then bear right.
- Go 1.1 miles and turn left onto Frenchtown Rd.
- Go 1.0 mile, turn right onto Little Lyford Lodge and Cabins access road.