Airport Meeting Location
Campers flying to Camp will meet at the Seattle-Tacoma airport (SEA) baggage claim between 11 AM and 2 PM on Saturdays only for transport to camp. Vans will depart for camp as they fill and drivers are available. The meeting place is adjacent to baggage carousel #16, near the escalator at Seattle-Tacoma airport (the same location as 2017). For those arriving by taxi or limo, ask to be dropped at door #26.
If possible, please do not plan to arrive at the meeting place prior to 11 AM on your arrival day to allow departing campers to disembark.
The camp is about a 2.5-3 hour drive from the airport with a QUICK stop en route for lunch and for people to buy a few snacks and supplies (e.g. happy hour provisions).
Please complete a transportation form with complete flight schedule including your flight number and carrier as soon as you have your arrangements made.
If arriving by 2 p.m. is a problem, you may need to consider arriving a day early and spending the night near the Sea-Tac airport.
We try to accommodate unanticipated flight delays or schedule changes. If you are notified of changes in your schedule that will significantly change your arrival time, please notify the Transportation Coordinators at [email protected] immediately, not the Registrar. Leave a phone message if no answer.
If Your Flight Is Delayed
Please call the number given below if your flight has been delayed, changed, rerouted and for other Saturday travel emergencies. This is NOT the emergency number for Camp.
Have the appropriate number handy on your travel day. If you call before 10 am and get no answer, keep trying as the phone may be en route to the airport and in a no-coverage area.
- On July 13 and July 20: call 203-733-2963 (Paula)
- On July 27 and August 3: call 917-495-2084 (Virginia)
Transportation to SEA will not be available on departure Saturdays for flights leaving before 10 a.m. Vans begin leaving camp at 5 AM to return to the airport. You must plan to leave camp about 4-5 hours before your flight time.
We strongly encourage you to book a flight departing late morning. If you choose to book an early morning flight you might consider booking it for Sunday morning and spending Saturday night near the airport.
Volunteer Drivers at Camp
In order to run our full program of hikes and activities each day, August Camp depends on having a large number of campers qualified as volunteer drivers. Even if you drive your own vehicle to Camp, please consider applying to be an approved van driver.
Please complete the Authorization to Drive August Camp Vans form no later than May 1st. This form authorizes the AMC's insurance carrier to review your driving record.
Note: Our insurance agreement does not permit drivers over the age of 75, so do not plan on driving Camp vans if 76 years of age or older.
We appreciate your willingness to apply to be a driver. The more drivers we have the less everyone has to do.
Directions to Camp
The 2019 August Camp will be held in Packwood, WA. (GPS: ca. 46.627263,-121.693842)
- From the Seattle-Tacoma airport, get onto WA-518E for 1.3 miles and continue onto I-405N for 1.7 miles to exit 2.
- Take WA-167S toward Auburn for 19.6 miles.
- Exit onto 410E and proceed for 34.1 miles at which point this becomes Chinook Pass highway for 10.2 miles
- And then once again 410E for another 12.3 miles.
- At this point make a slight right onto 123S for 12.9 miles and then turn right onto 12W toward Packwood.
- Take 12W for about 7.3 miles and turn right onto Skate Creek Road, near the gas station.
- It is about 3 miles north on Skate Creek Road to the left turn into Camp, which is just past a road on the right.
- Watch for our August Camp sign.
- If you are coming from another direction, take Skate Creek Road north from the center of Packwood (gas station on corner, once a Shell, now believed to be a Mobil) and follow directions above.
Returning to Sea-Tac
- Right out of Camp onto Skate Creek Road
- Left onto 12N for 7.3 miles.
- Left onto 123N for 12.9 miles.
- Bear left onto 410W (Chinook Hwy in places) for a total of 56.6 miles.
- Take WA 167N for 19.6 miles to 405 S for 1.7 miles to 518W and follow signs for the airport.